Thursday, August 6, 2009
Best Fashion Movie Quotes of All-Time, Ever
Remember when Cher pleaded with her mugger not for her life, but her Alaia dress in Clueless? Or Singin’ in the Rain musically immortalizing a “string full of pearls with a suit of tweed?” As Bruno busts up the box office in Thierry Mugler, I'm going to recall classic fashion quips, and count down my top sartorial-inspired cinematic quotes:
10. “I think tomorrow is a ‘Say Something’ hat day.” Patrick Swayze, in a brilliant turn as Vida Boheme, attempts to cheer up her fellow queens as the ladies are stuck in Kansas, for To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar.
9. “Yes, Derek, they’re jeans and they’re in order.” Parker Posey’s Mary chastising her closet-rifling friend in Party Girl.
8. “This is a really volcanic ensemble you're wearing, it's really marvelous!” Duckie, one of my favorite fashion inspirations, in Pretty In Pink.
7. “Impossible! You're in the fashion world. We're cold, artificial and without sentiment.” Anna Wintour predecessor Maggie Prescott tells it like it is in Funny Face.
6. Cher: "Oh, no. You don’t understand, this is an Alaïa.” Mugger: "An a-what-a?” Cher: "It's like, a totally important designer.” Mugger: "And I will totally shoot you in the head. Get down!” Alicia Silverstone fights for Azzadine during Clueless.
5. “A string of pearls with a suit of tweed, it started quite a riot. And if you must wear fox to the opera, Dame Fashions says dye it.” Gene Kelly oversees a musical that tackles changing fashions in the classic Singin’ in the Rain.
4. “Clothes make the man. I believe that. You say to me you want to go shopping, you want to buy clothes, but you don't know what kind. You leave that hanging in the air, like I'm going to fill in the blank, that to me is like asking me who you are, and I don't know who you are, I don't want to know.” Marshall, the wise chauffeur who teaches Tom Hanks the value of Armani in Joe Versus the Volcano.
3. "A lot of the style gurus in Austria are saying like Osama Bin Laden is thee best dressed guy, do you think so?" Sascha Baron Cohen taking it a bit too far in Brüno.
2. “Well, it's all about looking good, helping the silhouette…and all about getting a great fuck, honey.” Thierry Mugler, explaining his fetishistic inspiration to fictional reporter Kitty Potter in Robert Altman’s chaotic Ready To Wear.
1. My number one pick isn’t as much of a quote as it is a powerful monologue. Watch, and see Meryl Streep explain why we do what we do.