Monday, June 2, 2008

New Brandon Bird's

If I was to know anything about art (I don't) I would be able to say something about the appropriation of popular figures and the hilarity of recontextualizing them (I can't) and how Brandon Bird makes pop art that doesn't try to prove anything (he doesn't).

But when the courageous and dashing Matt Laffey pointed out his new works of his this morning I felt the need to pass them on. I vaguely know of him through the Norton Anthology (a bunch of artists painted Ed Norton in various places and is chock full of silly), but after perusing his website, I've ascertained he is 1) a totally nerdy guy who kind of avoids art world cliches and 2) actually really funny.

Here's his new stuff:

MR. NOODLE oil on canvas 24" x 18" 2008


WHAT NAT SAW oil on canvas 30" x 24" 2008


Bam Thwop oil on canvas 24" x 18" 2008


Pax Cybertronia oil on canvas 18" x 18" 2008


I like that its post-ironic, and has this kind of nostalgic homage to culture. Neo-sincerity? Is that a term? (Not yet). It should be. I'm feeling very neo-sincere. Down with irony, up with idolatry. Indeed.

No comments: