Monday, September 29, 2008

My Little Ingenuity

My dear friend Matt Harper passed this on to me, via The Great White Snark.

Being a child of the eighties, I can't imagine a more fitting way to celebrate the pop-culture that has so heavily impacted our lives.

While I didn't play with many "girl" toys (if I recall correctly, my three favorites were Ghostbusters and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, along with the All Dogs Go To Heaven happy meal toys), I did adore My Little Ponys. They had hair, delicate and oddly sensual faces, cool traits and they all did something (sparkled, smelled like candy, had some moveable parts).

So to re-connote them as awesome and threatening pop cultural icons is really clever, and to do so so successfully is even more impressive. Take a look at these Ponys, all dolled up, with their "My Little" gimmicks:


My Little Cthulu






My Little Storm Trooper





My Little Pan (from Pan's Labyrinth)






My Little Alien






My Little Batman (This one is so cute)




You can see more of this stuff at the artist's DeviantArt page. Now, if they only had Ponys like this when I was a kid, I may have turned out totally different, unafraid to mix pop cultural references and with a predeliction for dark humor.

Get it? Cuz I do that stuff now. So I wouldn't be different at all.

No comments: