Friday, July 18, 2008

Bonkers for Batman :: Friday Video Edition

There was something curious that happened in New York when Heath Ledger died. Maybe because I was in Soho, maybe because the gay boys in my office cried, but it was a moment that will be pretty well-defined in my recollection of 2008.

And its carried over to 7.18.08

Viral marketing, intensely sold out shows, screenings from 3AM-6AM. This movie is remarkably unspoiled, based on one of the most iconic figures of 20th century fiction and has a romantic death surrounding it. It's like The Crow, but with less suck.

So, in celebration of the vice-like grip Batman has on this real-life Gotham, I bring you a musical tribute to the Batmen of the past, of which the cinematic representations have been decidedly lack-luster as my selections demonstrate, for my Friday video presentation.

FROM BATMAN FOREVER (1995)



Seal - "Kiss By A Rose"

FROM BATMAN (1989)



Prince - "Batdance"

FROM BATMAN RETURNS (1992)



Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Face to Face"

FROM BATMAN AND ROBIN (1997)



Smashing Pumpkins - "The End is the Beginning is the End"

and lastly - Batman outsurfing Joker:


This is, strangely enough, the second time I've witnessed this Batman use his shark repellent spray from his utility belt. Lucky for that spray...


Enjoy your Bat-day, and I'll enjoy my 10:20 viewing at Union Square.

No comments: